Hoofcare & Lameness Journal received the following report from Bryan Quinsey, executive director of the American Farrier's Association on Sunday, September 11. Thanks to Bryan for reporting in!
Begin quote Bryan Quinsey:
The AFA General Membership Open Forum Meeting was held on Friday, September 9, 2005 in Omaha, Nebraska.
Over seventy AFA members attended the meeting where attendees where afforded the opportunity to ask questions and make comments regarding farrier education, licensing, and registration.
On Saturday, September 10, 2005, the Mid-Year Board of Directors Meeting was held. The official minutes of that meeting will be available within the next thirty days.
Highlights of the meeting included:
1. The Board approved an Educational Marketing Alliance Agreement with the American Quarter Horse Association.
2. Rescinded a motion passed at the February 23, 2005 meeting of the Board of Directors relating to Farrier Education and Registration.
3. Agreed that all future statements, advertising, and media related material concerning farrier licensing be halted immediately pending review by the Board of Directors.
4. Accepted the recommendation of the Convention Coordinating Committee to hold the 2009 Annual AFA Convention in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
5. Accepted a plan from the Finance Committee to:
a. Create a series of AFA Regional Conferences throughout the country (to begin in 2006).
b. Create a "Horse Owners Desk Reference" that will be distributed by the AFA members.
c. Create a new category of sponsorship called "Certified Education Partner".
d. Enhance the sponsorship opportunities for the 2006 Annual Convention (to be held in Omaha, Nebraska)
6. Approved the offering of a Personal Accident Indemnity Plan and a Personal Cancer Indemnity Plan from AFLAC for AFA members.
7. Re-elected Don Gustafson, CJF as chairman of the AFA Nominations & Elections Committee.
8. Re-elected Jeff Ridley, CJF, TE as the Board of Directors Representative to the AFA Executive Committee.
Additional motions were approved and will be reported in their entirety in the official minutes of the meeting.
End quote Bryan Quinsey.
Note: more information about the AFA is available at their web site, www.americanfarriers.org.