Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Closer Look at the Pro-Ride Racing Surface

Sarah Andrew is on hand at Santa Anita for the Breeders Cup and shows this view of the Pro-Ride artificial surface. According to one report, the footing reached a temperature of 145 degrees today in the California heat. In this photo, which was surely shot in the early morning, you can see some material sticking to the horses' feet and shoes.

What's next, teflon non-stick horseshoes? Spraying the feet with Pam?

Thanks, Sarah!

5 comments:

Winston...not really said...

Your question may have been hypothetical but trainers actually do spray Pam or WD40 on the hoof.

Fran Jurga said...

Yes...well...we've tried all that stuff to stop snow from sticking to hooves around here...it never worked...

Nellie said...

I don't know about Pro-Ride, but Tapeta is sticky, sticky, sticky. Sticking my hand in Lake Erie didn't even get it off...

After transferring my handful of the material from pocket to a Ziploc bag, I put my phone in that pocket and actually have a photo of the Tapeta sticking to it.

Holy Racehorse! said...

Trainers at Turfway use Pam in the winter. Works for most of them.

Sarah K Andrew said...

I got to spend a little time ON the track this week. I agree- it is HOT!!! I've heard 160 degrees. A vet at the track said that they were more concerned with the fumes than the heat of the surface.

It feels like a big carpet. I walked almost the entire length and it felt great. A million times less tiring than walking on traditional dirt tracks.

I took more pics of the surface and I'll post them for you soon. Had a BLAST shooting the Breeders' Cup :^)

Best,
Sarah Andrew